Aged under 25?
Have you had your MenACWY vaccine?
- Did you miss getting your MenACWY vaccine at secondary school?
- Leaving school or college and going to university?
- Next steps… If you haven’t had it, get your MenACWY vaccine.
What is MenACWY vaccine?
- The MenACWY vaccine is given by a single injection into the upper arm and protects against four strains of meningococcal disease known as Men A, C, W and Y, which can cause meningitis and septicaemia.
- The MenACWY vaccine is safe and highly effective in preventing illness caused by these 4 meningococcal strains, including the extremely harmful MenW strain.
- If you are aged under 25yrs, and may have missed your school MenACWY vaccination, check with your parent/ carer or contact your GP to have the MenACWY vaccine.
- Young people aged 18-25 are particularly at risk from meningococcal disease as they often come into contact with many new people in confined environments such as pubs and clubs, festivals and university halls.
- Students starting university for the first time are particularly at risk if unvaccinated.
What is meningococcal disease?
- Meningococcal bacteria can cause meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) and septicaemia (blood poisoning). Both diseases are very serious and can kill, especially if not diagnosed early.
- Meningococcal disease is often aggressive, and can get worse very quickly. Many survivors are left with life changing disabilities, including brain damage and loss of limbs. That is why it is so important to have the vaccination.
- Spotting the signs and symptoms – symptoms can appear in any order, and sometimes symptoms will may not appear at all. These symptoms can be easily confused with flu, a stomach bug or a hangover. Get help or tell someone if you, a friend or flatmate is ill and getting worse – keep checking.
- Watch the video for more information…
'Have you met the meningitis symptoms?'
Watch the short YouTube video (01:04 mins) »
How do you get vaccinated?
- You can contact your GP to book an appointment for the free MenACWY vaccine.
- All those aged 18 to 25 are eligible for the free MenACWY vaccine and those who might have missed vaccination in previous years remain eligible up to their 25th birthday, whether attending university or not.
- From birth, you will have been offered vaccines to protect you from many diseases and over your lifetime, you’ll continue to be offered more. Read more about the NHS vaccination schedule here
- Meningitis Now Freephone Meningitis Helpline 0808 80 10 388, 9am to 10pm every day www.meningitisnow.org
- NHS Choices Website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/men-acwy-vaccine
- Have you met the meningitis symptoms? https://youtu.be/3TPp8ILbaHE