Aged 18 - 25?
Get your MenACWY vaccine
- Born after 1 September 1996, still under 25 years old and missed the MenACWY vaccine at secondary school?
- Leaving School or College, Going to University?
- Next steps… Get your MenACWY vaccine!
What is MenACWY vaccine?
- The MenACWY vaccine is given by a single injection into the upper arm and protects against four strains of meningococcal disease known as Men A, C, W and Y, which can cause meningitis and septicaemia.
- If you were born after 1 September 1996, and are under 25 years old, contact your GP to have the MenACWY vaccine.
- Young people aged 18-25 are particularly at risk from meningococcal disease as they often come into contact with many new people in confined environments such as pubs and clubs, festivals and university halls.
- Students starting university for the first time are particularly at risk if unvaccinated.
What is meningococcal disease?
- Meningococcal bacteria can cause meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) and septicaemia (blood poisoning). Both diseases are very serious and can kill, especially if not diagnosed early.
- MenW is one of the most aggressive and life-threatening forms of meningococcal disease and can be fatal. Many survivors are left with life changing disabilities, including brain damage and loss of limbs.
- Spotting the signs and symptoms – watch this video for more information on how to recognise the symptoms of Meningitis.
- Not everyone will develop symptoms and they can appear in any order therefore it is important to have the vaccination.
'Have you met the meningitis symptoms?'
Watch the short YouTube video (01:04 mins) »
How do you get vaccinated?
- You can contact your GP to book an appointment for the free MenACWY vaccine.
- All those aged 18 to 25 are eligible for the free MenACWY vaccine and those who might have missed vaccination in previous years remain eligible up to their 25th birthday, whether attending university or not.
- Meningitis Now Freephone Meningitis Helpline 0808 80 10 388, 9am to 10pm every day www.meningitisnow.org
- NHS Choices Website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/men-acwy-vaccine
- Have you met the meningitis symptoms? https://youtu.be/3TPp8ILbaHE
- Public Health England School Leavers Flyer: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/617266/MenACWY_school_leaver_flyer.pdf